(Additional WGSS electives listed at the bottom of the page)
Date & Time
|WMST V1001||INTRODUCTION TO WOMEN'S & GENDER STUDIES (Syllabus) (1)||L. Ciolkowski||Lec||TR 11:40am - 12:55pm||3.0|
FEMINIST THEORY (Syllabus)
|T. Campt||Sem||W 9:00-10:50 am||4.0|
|WMST V3522||SENIOR SEMINAR II (Syllabus) (2)||T. Szell||Sem||W 12:00-1:50 pm||4.0|
|WMST W3916||HISTORICAL APPROACHES TO FEMINIST QUESTIONS (CU) (Syllabus)||V. Rosner||Sem||T 2:10-4:00 pm||4.0|
|WMST BC3132||GENDERED CONTROVERSIES: WOMEN'S BODIES AND GLOBAL CONFLICTS (Syllabus)||J. Jakobsen||Sem||R 4:10-6:00 pm||4.0|
UNHEARD VOICES: AFRICAN WOMEN'S LITERATURE (Syllabus)
|Y. Christiansë||Sem||W 11:00am - 12:50pm||4.0|
|WMST BC3513||CRITICAL ANIMAL STUDIES (Syllabus) (3) New course!||L. J. Moore||Sem||R 2:10-4:00 pm||4.0|
WOMEN IN ISRAEL: AN INTRODUCTION (Syllabus)
|I. Klepfisz||Sem||T 4:10-6:00 pm||4.0|
FEMINIST MEDIA THEORY (Syllabus) (4) New course!
|J. Beller||Sem||M 11:00am - 12:50pm||4.0|
EARLY JEWISH WOMEN IMMIGRANT WRITERS: 1900-1939 (Syllabus)
|I. Klepfisz||Sem||T 9:00-10:50 am||4.0|
GENDER, GLOBALIZATION AND EMPIRE (Syllabus)
|N. Tadiar||Sem||T 2:10-4:00 pm||4.0|
|WMST W4311||FEMINISM AND SCIENCE STUDIES (Syllabus) Newly added course!||L.J. Moore||Sem||R 9:00-10:50 am||4.0|
COLLOQUIUM ON FEMINIST INQUIRY (CU) (Syllabus)
|E. Povinelli||Sem||T 11:00-12:50 pm||4.0|
|WMST W3922||THE JAZZ AGE (CU) (Syllabus)||C. Rottenberg||Sem||W 11:00-12:50 pm||4.0|
ADVANCED TOPICS: POLITICS OF THE FAMILY (CU) (Syllabus)
|A. Nelson||Sem||W 2:10-4:00 p||4.0|
1) WMST V1001 INTRODUCTION TO WOMEN'S AND GENDER STUDIES - Students registering for this course are expected to attend the lecture on Tuesdays at 11:40am-12:55pm, and one of the five discussion sections for 11:40am-12:55pm on Thursday. The course instructors will assign students to discussion sections in the first few weeks of the semester. This course is currently filled to capacity (90 students). However, if you're interested in registering, please email your contact information to Jessica Lillien at firstname.lastname@example.org, and ask to be placed on the waiting list. Make sure to also attend the first day of class.
(2) WMST V3522 SENIOR SEMINAR II - Prof. Timea's class has been moved from M 4:10-6:00 pm to W 12:00-1:50 pm. and will be held in DIA 501. WGSS and CU's Instititute for Research on Women and Gender (IRWaG) have decided to unify the BC and CU senior seminars. The other seminar was originally scheduled to be taught by Prof. Hartman.
2) WMST BC3513 CRITICAL ANIMALS STUDIES - "This course collaborates between students and professor, humans and animals, subjects and objects, to investigate the Animal Problem. What are non-human animals? How do we relate to them? How do we account for our animal nature while reconciling our cultural aspirations? What are our primary desires with respect to non-human animals?"
3) WMST BC3530 FEMINIST MEDIA THEORY - "The integration of contemporary media and social practices of all types is intensifying. This seminar examines media theory and various media platforms including Language, Photography, Film, Television, Radio, Digital Video, and Computing as treated by feminists, critical race and queer theorists, and other scholars and artists working from the margins."
As a general rule, Barnard or Columbia students do NOT need to sign up for WGSS seminars despite the warning in the pencil book or catalog that the instructor's permission is needed.
Spring 2013 Women's, Gender & Sexuality Studies Additional Course Electives
|Course||Title||Instructor||Act||Date & Time||Pts|
|HIST BC3803||GENDER AND EMPIRE||A. Rao||Lec||TR 2:40-3:55 pm||3.0|
|AFRI BC3589||BLACK FEMINISM IN U.S. POP CULTURE||C. Naylor||Sem||R 2:10-4:00 pm||4.0|
|CSER W3901||SEX, DRUGS AND WOMEN OF COLOR||S. Hwahng||Sem||T 2:10-4:00 pm||4.0|
|ENGL W3505||POST-AIDS LITERATURE||Sem||F 4:10-6:00 pm||4.0|
|HIST BC4788||GENDER, SEXUALITY AND POWER FROM COLONIAL TO CONTEMPORARY AFRICA||A. George||Sem||T 6:10-8:00 pm||4.0|
|POLS W3626||GENDER & INTERNATIONAL RELATIONS||E. Blanchard||TR||4:10-5:25 pm||3.0|
|RELI W4040||WOMEN & BUDDHISM IN CHINA||C. Yu||Sem||T 2:10-4:00 pm||4.0|
|SOCI W3265||SOCIOLOGY OF WORK & GENDER||T. Sharpe||Lec||TR 11:40-12:55 pm||3.0|
Women's Studies Main Menu
- About Us
- The Program
- Courses (Fall 2013)
- Women's, Gender and Sexuality Studies (WGSS) Office Assistant Position Available